Poorly fitted, low quality backpacks can have significant and well-recorded long term effects on children. If you have children in primary or secondary school the following recommended tips for safe usage of back packs may help in preventing spinal issues that can last into adulthood:
· Ensure the bag has shoulder straps and a waist strap.
· Ensure the weight of the filled bag is never more than 10 per cent of the child's weight.
· The central load of the backpack should always be close to the child's waist height.
· Ensure there is no change to the child's posture when carrying the bag.
· Ensure the child carries the backpack using both shoulders and the waist strap is clasped.
During February Wellington Family Chiropractic will be conducting FREE back pack assessments. They take 10 minutes and can be booked by contacting the practice on 9780 8990.